Is dopamine-injection available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for dopamine-injection?
What are the uses for dopamine-injection?
- Dopamine is prescribed to correct hemodynamic status in patients with shock syndrome due to
- This means dopamine may be capable of improving urine flow, blood pressure, blood flow to vital organs, and improving heart function in patients with shock syndrome.
What are the side effects of dopamine-injection?
Common side effects of dopamine include
Serious side effects of dopamine include
- abnormal heart rhythm,
- increased or decreased blood pressure,
- increased pressure in the eye, and
- gangrene in the extremities.
What is the dosage for dopamine-injection?
Dopamine is given by intravenous (IV) infusion.
- Low dose: 1 to 5 mcg/kg/minute IV to increase urine output and kidney blood flow.
- Intermediate dose: 5 to 15 mcg/kg/minute IV to increase kidney blood flow, cardiac output and contractility, and heart rate.
- High dose: 20 to 50 mcg/kg/minute IV to increase blood pressure and stimulate vasoconstriction; may increase infusion by 1 to 4 mcg/kg/minute at 10 to 30 minute intervals until desired response (for example, adequate blood pressure) is achieved.
Safe and effective use of dopamine is not established in children.
Which drugs or supplements interact with dopamine-injection?
- Dopamine should not be used in patients with pheochromocytoma and abnormal heart rate and rhythm.
- Dopamine should not be used with medications like selegiline (Eldepryl, Zelapar), linezolid (Zyvox), and MAIO inhibitors like phenelzine (Nardil), isocarboxazid (Marplan) due to increased risk of a hypertensive episode.
- Dopamine should not be used with tricyclic antidepressants (for example, amitriptyline [Elavil, Endep]) that increase dopamine and norepinephrine due to increased risk of hypertension and abnormal heart rate and rhythm.
Is dopamine-injection safe to take if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
What else should I know about dopamine-injection?
What preparations of dopamine-injection are available?
- Additive solutions for IV infusion: 40, 80, 160 mg/ml.
- Infusion Solution: 80, 160, 320, mg/100 ml
How should I keep dopamine-injection stored?
Dopamine injections are stored at room temperature between 20 C to 25 C (68 F to 77 F).
Medically Reviewed on 3/7/2019
FDA Prescribing Information.